Tuesday, July 10, 2012

MS Pain

It’s very difficult to express to others the specific pain that comes with an invisible disease. For me, I do everything I can to prevent anyone from noticing what MS does to me. Recently (within the last few months), the chronic pain I’ve experienced has gotten worse. Additionally, having to explain to others the pain I’m experiencing when I don’t even know how to comprehend it is frustrating and, well, sad. Unfortunately, most of the time when I’m experiencing an increase in pain, the questions I receive from others goes as far as angering me because, in my mind, these individuals should know if they are in my life. I’ve discovered that no one will ever truly comprehend the extent or complexity of MS unless they are in my (or another patient’s) shoes.
From an article in Overview of Pain as a Symptom of Multiple Sclerosis, MS pain is highlighted:

Multiple sclerosis (MS) can be very painful, although many people do not realize the extent to which MS can cause pain and discomfort. I know that it is hard to find words to describe the MS hug or the incessant feeling like ants are biting the soles of your feet. However, the fact that these things are so unique to MS can result in a lack of understanding and empathy, just when you need it the most.
Furthermore, from A.S.A.M.I.E.F., MS pain is highlighted:

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (Reuters Health) - A large-scale survey of more than 7,000 multiple sclerosis (MS) patients shows that most MS patients are undertreated and often unrecognized for pain management.

Yale University neurologist Dr. Marco Rizzo presented these findings last week here at the 15th Yale Neuroimmunology Symposium.

``MS patients experience migraine headaches, eye, leg, facial, bladder and skin pain. Muscular spasms and prickling or tingling sensations of the skin are common, and the pain is chronic,'' Rizzo explained.

MS is a central nervous system disorder in which the thin protective coating called myelin that insulates nerve fibers in the brain and spine becomes damaged. Eventually, lesions develop in the brain and spinal cord that can lead to a loss of vision, weakness, numbness and tingling.

MS occurs when white blood cells known as T cells attack the proteins that make up myelin. Currently, there is no cure for the disease.

Chronic pain causes ``miswiring,'' leading to abnormal pain pathways, Rizzo noted. Typical pain medications do not work in chronic pain and so MS patients need to be treated with medications such as a class of antidepressants known as tricyclic antidepressants, and anticonvulsants. Typically, more than one medication or combination needs to be given in order to effectively tackle the pain, Rizzo pointed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment